If you own a website, Search Engine Optimization is not an option: you must do SEO if you want to rank in the search engines and thus, have visitors. But you must also be aware of the most common SEO mistakes that beginners may do. Here is a list of the most common SEO mistakes to absolutely avoid:
- Duplicate Content: Don’t EVER copy/paste content from other websites! That technique used to work some years ago but now Google and other search engines are penalizing this tactic. It could lead to have your site simply banned from their indexes.
- Keyword Stuffing: Do not repeat your main keywords too often, or you will end up with a text that will be unpleasant to read and the user might just leave your page. Your page will also look very unprofessional.
- Bad Keywords: When searching for keywords, always think of what people are looking for and do not use keywords that simply sound good to your ears.
- Bad Internal Anchor Texts: Webmasters often use generic words like ‘Click here’ or ‘Read more’. The problem with these words is that the robot that will crawl the page won’t know what the link refers to.
- Over Optimization: Don’t focus too much on SEO, rather focus on your readers. Don’t put your keywords everywhere: title, h1, h2, h3 tags, url…
- No Redirecting: If you have multiple urls for your website (i.e. http://mysite.com and http://www.mysite.com), don’t forget to put a 301 redirecting in your .htaccess file, so the search engines will know what url they have to index.
- Dead Links: Are you annoyed when you click a link and end up with a 404 error? So your readers will be…
- Links From Bad Quality Sites: It’s easy to have a link from a little directory, but is that so important? Focus on gaining links from authoritative sites, it will boost your rankings.
- Meta Keywords: Nowadays, meta keywords are completely useless.
- Broad Match Search: When you’re searching for keywords and want to check your competition, perform an exact search (put commas), otherwise you will have results not only with your exact term but also with phrases incorporating your term. It will lead to have inflated numbers and completely useless data.
- No Domain Name: Maybe you are tight on budget, so your blog is a free hosted one (WordPress.com, Blogger…). That’s alright, though you won’t be able to implement useful SEO tools like Yoast SEO for WordPress for example. The main problem with this is that search engines don’t like hosted blogs too much. At Namecheap, you can have your domain name for less than $5 a year. Think of it…
Do you think of other SEO mistakes not to do? Don’t agree with this list! Feel free to leave a kind comment and let’s talk about it!